Why Do I Need My Gas Fireplace Checked Annually?
Fireplace Inspection and Annual Maintenance
For gas fireplace maintenance or repairs, A1 Air Conditioning and Heating provides highly trained TSSA approved Technicians that know a lot about gas fireplaces. With a regular annual fireplace tune-up and cleaning, we will help you get the most out of your fireplace.
Your safety is one of our top concerns. We can identify any potential fireplace problems early – and we will offer professional advice on anything that might affect your indoor air quality.
We want you and your family to be safe and comfortable, sitting in front of a warm fireplace that is working perfectly. Feels good, right?
So Why Do I Need my Gas Fireplace Checked Annually?
Your fireplace works hard. All fall and winter to keep you warm. Yes, gas fireplaces are efficient and appear low maintenance to most people. But like any appliance in your home, it needs care and an annual check-up.
So, don’t overlook the need to keep your fireplace clean and working properly. Heat and dirt build-up over time starts to affect the interior of your fireplace. All the working parts of your fireplace eventually age over time.
We just don’t typically spend a lot of time thinking about our fireplaces!
With an annual check-up, you will increase the lifespan of your fireplace and minimize repairs over time. Preventative maintenance is well worth it to make sure your fireplace starts perfectly each season.
Safety is another reason. Gas fireplaces need to be well vented. If there is a blockage, you could face the possible danger of carbon monoxide leaking into your home. Our fireplaces do age over the years and things can go wrong – gas burners can crack over time and this will affect how well your fireplace is working.
Plus, you want your fireplace to look good. Cleaning the glass and enjoying the sparkling clean vision of dancing flames adds to a better ambience in your house.
Seasonal inspection of all the working parts of a gas fireplace and maintenance of your flues and vents also helps assure good indoor air quality. Your gas fireplace can emit certain CO2 and nitrous gases that you can’t see – so keep your home clean and safe.
So, remember that every fireplace or insert should be cleaned annually.
What can go wrong and I don’t know it?
- Ceramic log inserts can eventually deteriorate with use, sticking to the sides of the insert and trapping debris
- Cracked or scratched glass can become unstable and is a risk over time
- Residue and dirt can gather inside the fireplace and will need cleaning
- Important parts inside your fireplace like the gas ignitor and burners will age over time and corrosion/dirt can set in (insects too!) – all this will affect how well the fireplace will work
- Burner ports can get clogged causing black soot inside the fireplace
- Gas fireplaces are generally considered cleaner than traditional wood-burning fireplaces, but if not properly vented, they can also contaminate your air inside your home. Carbon monoxide is the most potentially harmful product produced by gas fireplaces. Carbon monoxide is an odourless, tasteless and colourless gas. It comes from the incomplete burning of various fuels, including natural gas Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include fatigue, nausea and dizziness.
A1 can provide you with the most thorough and professional fireplace maintenance in the industry. We promise!
What you can expect with a fireplace inspection and cleaning:
Gas Fireplace “Inspection, Tune-up and Cleaning” Check List
- A thorough inspection of the interior and exterior integrity of the firebox
- Check glass for chips, cracks or flaws that could cause problems
- Clean the residue from the glass with a special cleaner
- Inspect door gasket for a tight seal
- Check control switch operation
- Tighten and inspect efficacy of all electrical wiring
- Inspect for any deterioration of logs and clean the area
- Ensure the heat output is optimal and that all the important parts of the fireplace are working properly. Parts are checked for age/corrosion or malfunctioning:
- Ensure the gas ignition system is sparking perfectly and consistently
- Check burners and clean – remove any corrosion or residue that may cause blockage
- Check gas valves to ensure a clean connection and no natural gas leakage
- Inspect blower as required
- Test exhaust system for proper venting ensure there is no CO leakage
- Check with the homeowner to ensure there is a working carbon monoxide detector within the home
After the inspection and cleaning, our A1 Technician will advise you of any parts that need replacing or if it could be nearing end of its life very soon.
Do you have any further questions about your insert or fireplace?
Our A1 licenced TSSA approved Gas Technicians are professionally certified to work on all types of gas/combustion appliances in your home.
Your safety matters to us. Our technicians are trained to quickly identify any hazards with your fireplace. Give us a call and we can answer any of your questions or concerns while in your home. We are here to help!