We are going to talk about proper humidifier operation so that we can try to clear up any confusion regarding how to use it and how much humidity is acceptable in your home. Also, central humidifiers may have a damper. For proper operation, this damper must be adjusted twice each year. The damper should be open during the heating season and closed during the cooling season.
Keeping your home’s humidity levels in check can significantly improve the healthfulness and comfort of your home
Too Little Humidity
- You experience chronic physical symptoms such as sore throats, dry/itchy skin, nose bleeds or sinus irritation.
- Wallpaper is peeling, while your paint or plaster is starting to crack.
- Annoying and sometimes painful static shocks are common occurrences.
- Your thermostat is cranked up, as is your energy bill, but you still feel cold.
- Your piano and other musical instruments are falling out of tune.
Too Much Humidity
- Your skin often feels clammy, sweaty or sticky.
- Musty-smelling odours are invading your living space.
- Condensation, frost or ice have formed on the inside surface of your windows. Water pipes are “sweating”.
- Damp spots, or worse, mold and mildew, have formed on ceilings or walls.
- Your allergies or asthma have gotten worse due to the growth of mold, mildew and dust mites.
- Your house is a breeding ground for termites, cockroaches and other pests.
What You Can Do to Treat the Symptoms from your Humidifier?
- Use ventilation fans in kitchens and bathrooms when in use. Ensure that your fans are venting directly outside.
- Cover dirt floor crawlspaces under your house with plastic to act as a vapor barrier.
- Check to make sure your dryer is vented to the outside. Don’t dry wet clothes on drying racks in the house. Air-dry them outdoors if possible.
- Ensure air conditioning drip pans are clean and drain lines unobstructed.
- Fix any water leaks in pipes, toilets, showers, etc.
Turning the Humidifier on:
- Make sure water supply is on: Follow the copper line from the humidifier there will be a small valve
- Make sure the bypass damper is open in the winter and closed in the summer
- Set the humidity level on you humidistat or thermostat
Notes for your Humidifier:
- It takes 24-48 hours for the humidity level to change in your home
- The humidifier water panel has a white powdery substance on it (makes it appear dirty) – do not clean it off or the water panel becomes ineffective
- The water panel should be replaced once a year
- Condensation on your windows indicates the humidity level is too high
The Proper Indoor Humidity:
The amount of humidity required in a home is dependent to certain extent on the way it is constructed and lifestyle. A tightly constructed house may only need 3 gallons of additional moisture per day to maintain the proper relative humidity. A house of a similar size but loosely constructed might require 5 times as much moisture in the same period. The following chart outlines what the expected humidity level should be according to the outside temperature:
Humidifiers are tricky to understand, but our Mississauga mechanics know exactly what to do so please don’t hesitate and ask.