Air Conditioner Spring Tips
It’s getting hot in here, so it’s time to go through some air conditioner spring cleaning. When temperatures suddenly spike and your house feels humid and warm, you’ll be glad you took measures to make sure your air conditioner is ready to work in the spring.
Air conditioner spring cleaning will ensure that it will be running smoothly to keep your home cool without any problems arising when you need it most. Here are A1’s tips for air conditioner spring cleaning:
- Take off any protective lids and remove any coil covers. These covers are great for protecting your air conditioner during the winter, but in the spring you need to remove them before starting up your unit or run the risk of severely damaging it.
- Clean debris from your air conditioner in the spring. You must ensure that any debris and residue is cleaned off and removed from your unit and its coils to keep it running efficiently. Dirt and debris can limit how it works and promote the breakdown of the unit, costing you a lot of money in repairs.
- Change your indoor air filters and clean your vents. The spring is a good time to change your air filters, they’ve definitely built up dust and grime over the past months and you’ll be happy to have cleaned them when you have air blowing through them to cool your home. The same goes for your vents, they can get clogged up easily and lower your indoor air quality when dirty, so they should be thoroughly cleaned before you start using your air conditioner in the spring.
- Turn your humidifier damper to summer mode. Whole-home humidifiers have a damper that should be closed in the spring/summer and open in the fall/winter. Failing to switch it to summer mode will cause inefficient air flow and force the cool, flowing air back over the cooling coils in your unit and freeze the air conditioner.
- Make sure your air conditioner and breakers are working. You need to turn it on and make sure it’s blowing cool air properly and regularly over several hours. If not, check the breakers on your system. Sometimes damage can occur over the winter that may be tripping the breaker. Make sure to schedule maintenance with a professional to get it working well in time for the warm days to come.
Our professionals are trained in maintaining and preparing your air conditioner for the spring. Contact us for expert advice and service to ensure that your unit will be working properly in the warm seasons.